Cine Film to DVD/USB
Remember all those old cine films you used to have?
With Cine to DVD or USB we can transfer these old films onto DVD or USB stick so you can relive all those childhood memories without the hassle of trying to get the projector to work!
With Cine to DVD transfer at VideoPoint we can transfer Super 8, Standard 8, 9.5mm and 16mm films.
If you want a quote for your cine to DVD/USB transfer please use our contact form
or use our CALCULATOR
More Information on Cine to DVD
The very fact that you are reading this means you have already realised how much easier it will be to play a DVD or computer file to re-live all those memories, rather than having to get out that old projector equipment!. See below to find out what type of cine film you have and how to find out how much it will cost to transfer. We look forward to hearing from you and if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Standard 8mm: 8mm cine film is one of the most common formats. It is 8mm across and has the sprockets on the right hand side spaced at 4mm intervals and they are in line with the edge of the frame. Typically 50ft lasts about 4 minutes.
- Super 8: Is similar to 8mm but the sprocket holes are slightly smaller and the are in line with the centre of the frame. Typically 50ft lasts about 3.5 minute.
- 16mm: This is not as common as 8mm. The size of the film is 16mm across and usually has sprocket holes down both sides of the film, except when there is a soundtrack. 16mm comes on larger reels and runs faster than 8mm. So an equivalent footage is shorter.
- 9.5mm: This is a very old format and is about 9.5 mm across and it is characterised by the sprocket holes down the centre of the film.
How much cine have I got?
Cine film is measured in feet and comes on various sizes of reels.
For Standard 8 and Super 8:
The smallest reel holds 50 feet of cine.
The next standard size is 200 feet and then 400 feet.
The easiest way to measure your footage is measure the size of the reel:
- A 50ft reel is 3 inches across.
- A 200ft reel is 5 inches across.
- A 400ft reel is 7 inches across
Most larger reels have a gauge on the reel to show you how much cine is on the reel. Refer to this gauge if you have partly filled larger reels.
How much does it cost to transfer on to DVD/USB?
The rate is from 8p per foot plus a transfer charge of £25.00 per order.
- A 50ft reel is £5
- A 200ft reel is £18
- A 400ft reel is £32
What is the quality like?
Film has varying amounts of grain which give it that “film look”. In transferring the cine to video the final quality is very good, however it will never be as good as the original films due to limitations of the video system. Some areas of under exposed cine are actually enhanced by the transfer process. The convenience of having your cine on DVD far outweighs the slight loss of quality. We can also correct colour balance faults in the original film. Please remember the quality totally depends on the quality of the original cine films.
- Some cine we receive is in a bad state and needs repairing. We do not normally charge for repairs but if we have to make more than 6 splices we will charge you £1.00 per splice.
- We will edit out of the transfer any totally blank bits of film but if you want any specific editing done you will have to supply us with very precise instructions. There will be an extra charge for this depending on the amount of work involved.
- If you want the reels in a particular order, please remember to number the reels accordingly
- As most cine does not have a soundtrack we can, if you wish, dub background music onto the final DVD. We do not attempt to match the music to the action
- Your video comes in a plastic presentation case titled Cine Memories. If you wish we can supply a customised case insert with a message or title of your choice. Cost from £5.00
- We can supply copies of your cine transfer for you to give to members of your family. The more copies you have, the cheaper it is. Please ring for a quote.
If posting to us, please ensure you package your cine securely and send by recorded delivery. Please, please, please remember to enclose your name and address. Your cine and your videos are returned to you by recorded delivery with postage at cost. You are welcome to deliver your cine personally but please ring first to save a wasted journey. (We can arrange local collection and delivery – please ask)
Your cine is not affected by the transfer process and is returned to you undamaged. Although we take the utmost care with your films we cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage while in our care. Our only liability is to replace the cine with the equivalent quantity of blank film.
You can get an estimate of the cost of your transfer by clicking the CALCULATE button